70th ANNIVERSARY OF THE BOMBING OF HIROSHIMA / NAGASAKI
Midday, Thursday 6th August, Albert Street (Outside Marks & Spencer)
Join us on the 70th anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima to remember the victims of this inhumane attack, as well as to demand the scrapping of the Trident nuclear weapons system. It is estimated that a single Trident warhead is 8 times more destructive than the bomb dropped on Hiroshima, which killed at least 140,000 people. It is time to abandon these indiscriminate weapons of war.
There will be banners, placards, speakers, a small demonstration and, to remember the victims, a one-minute silence. If you can attend or help out, please let us know via firstname.lastname@example.org
- 7pm, Thursday 6th August, Five Leaves Bookshop (14a, Long Row, Nottingham, NG1 2DH)
We are hosting an evening to mark the republication of the book Hiroshima by John Hersey. This outstanding account of the impact of the first atomic bomb attack played a major role in helping people outside of Japan understand what happened and, ultimately, shaped public debates around nuclear weapons.
Our guest speakers are Tony Simpson of the Bertrand Russell Peace Foundation and Carol Turner of the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament, whom will speak about different aspects of nuclear warfare. Copies of Hiroshima will be available and refreshments will be served. To register, email email@example.com
- Saturday 8th August, Rolls-Royce Raynesway, Derby
East Midlands CND is organising a vigil and highly visual demonstration outside the Rolls-Royce facility in Derby. This is to mark the anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima/Nagasaki but also to highlight the role of Rolls Royce in the Trident nuclear-armed submarine system.
We strongly urge anyone in the region to attend this event and to contact in advance the East Mids CND’s Secretary via firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 01246235723.
CND stalls in Nottingham:
- Wednesday 26 August, Stall in Hyson Green (10.30am).
Please call Diane on 07975 854466 if you plan to help out.
Nottingham CND planning meetings:
- Next planning meeting, Wednesday 19th August 2015, 7.30pm – 9.00pm.
- Location: Nottingham City NUT, 21 Hucknall Road, Carrington. Notts. NG5 1AE
Planning meetings are held every month and are open to all members.
Nottingham Green Festival
- Sunday 6th September 2015 – The Arboretum Nottingham. Nottingham CND will have a stall at this years Nottingham Green Festival. The extremely popular ‘Tombola’ will be back! We would love to see you there! PS: If you have any items you could donate for the tombola please contact Diane our stall organiser on: 07975 854466.
Cycle Palestine in aid of MAP
Richard Buckwell, a Nottingham CND member, is taking part in Cycle Palestine 2015 (27th Sept – 4th Oct 2015) to raise funds for Medical Aid for Palestine (MAP). To support this cause (and great effort!) visit Richard’s JustGiving page.