Nottingham CND is asking representatives from organisations in and around the city to sign the following letter, noting their unhappiness with the government’s planned expenditure on replacing the Trident nuclear-armed submarine system. In due course, it will be circulated to local / regional press and Nottingham-based Members of Parliament.
If you would like your name added to the list of signatories, please get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org
Dear Members of Parliament in Nottingham,
We are extremely concerned about the government’s plans to replace the ageing Trident nuclear-armed submarine system, which has been estimated to cost £100bn over the lifetime of the programme.
The Conservative Party’s austerity agenda has harmed the people of Nottingham and has, through hundreds of jobs losses in local authorities, significantly damaged the public services on which most people rely.
To invest billions of pounds in new nuclear weapons – designed to indiscriminately kill on a massive scale – represents the wrong priorities. We believe in sustaining life rather than destroying it.
Please pass this message on to the Secretary of State for Defence and use whatever influence you have to call for the decision on Trident replacement to be reviewed or postponed.
As the late Tony Benn said, “If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”
Thank you for your time.
- Andrew Gibson, Secretary, Nottingham Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament
- Duncan Davis, Youth & Student Officer, Nottingham Green Party
- Jared Wilson, Editor In Chief, LeftLion Magazine
- Ross Bradshaw, Owner, Five Leaves Bookshop
- Jane Burd, Volunteer Coordinator, Nottingham Greenpeace Network
- Stephen Southall, Sales and Outreach Worker, The Big Issue Nottingham
- Andreas Bieler, Professor of Political Economy, University of Nottingham
- Tom Unterrainer, Chairperson, Nottingham Stop the War Coalition
- Liam Conway, Nottinghamshire Secretary, National Union of Teachers
- Jack Howe, Director, V3 Power Ltd.
- Adele Williams, Secretary, Sherwood Branch Labour Party
- Ruth Edgar, Education Network Manager, University of Nottingham Students’ Union
- Tim Cooper, Treasurer, Nottingham Unite Community
- Administrator, Nottingham Anti-Fascists